The NAPP are a "collaboration of general psychiatrists, psychiatrist psychotherapists and psychiatrist psychoanalysts". In May 2021 the President Phillp Morris released a statement advising on the management of gender dysphoria in young people.
The statement makes several points, including:
- Gender dysphoria resolves in the majority of cases as the child progresses through puberty.
- Gender dysphoria can "often be a manifestation of complex pre-existing family, social, psychological or psychiatric conditions" (see Kowlowska et al., 2020).
- Individualised pyschosocial interventions should be the first line of intervention before puberty blockers or cross-sex-hormones are considered.
The statement contradicts the Waikato Guidelines which state that:
- "psychotherapy is not a requirement of accessing gender affirming care."
- "Withholding [puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones] is not considered a neutral option, as this may cause or exacerbate any gender dysphoria or mental health problems"